Followers

Monday 28 November 2011

Crafty Cardmakers challenge 57 - Heat Embossing

 
Hello everyone, welcome to another challenge over at Crafty Cardmakers where Josephine has asked you to use 'Any technique using heat embossing - stamping or ultra-thick embossing powder or something else I haven't thought of!'
We are kindly sponsored for this challenge by The Stampman (and Lady of course!) who are offering the winner the lovely Starburst Stains Brush on The Fun Holly Wreath set (pictured above on the right hand side) deep, rich, vibrant colours with a two-toned shimmer!
These are all dye based products, which gives them their vibrancy, and they can be used on any porous surface, (paper, wood, fabric, balsa, chipboard, etc).
Instructions on how to use: Add hot water, (filtered preferably, especially with the stains), let sit at least 10 minutes. Shake or stir before each use. They really are stunning to use.
Now for my card for the challenge.
This was an easy challenge for me as embossing has to be my all time favourite thing to do :)

I have used a lovely Artemio clear stamp set 10001411 Floral Collage.
The background panel has been created using an Embossed resist technique.
First I stamped and embossed the flowers from the set, as illustrated, onto a piece of white card stock using versamark ink and white embossing powder.

Next I sponged Distress inks Iced Spruce, Weathered Wood and a little Black Soot over the entire thing. Then I stamped some of the flowers again but this time using the Weathered Wood ink pad.
Once you have finished stamping, wipe over the whole thing with a piece of kitchen paper to remove any excess ink. If you forget to do this bit you will wonder why you are getting in such a mess!!!. This is because the embossing acts as a resist (as its name suggests) and the ink won't dry on it.
The main panel has been stamped and embossed in black versafine ink and clear embossing powder on to a piece of white card stock. Then I have coloured it using Barn Door and Festive Berries distress inks which I have sponged over the image.
I have painted the leaves with Evergreen Bough distress ink. The entire panel has then been coated in clear embossing powder which when heated gives a slightly pitted and shiny finish.
It is amazing how long the ink stays wet on the card because it has been sponged on.
If  however you find that your panel has dried too quickly and the embossing powder doesn't stick then gently tap a CLEAN versamark ink pad over the entire thing, and then coat with embossing powder.
This will give a much smoother finish, I personally prefer the more pitted effect that you get when not all of the image takes the powder.
I have trimmed the background panel to fit onto a large red card and used the small strip that I cut from it across the centre.
Mount the main image over black glossy card stock and add it to the card.
The final embellishments are a fine hand drawn border, some card candy and of course a little bling on the flower centres. Oh I forgot I painted them with bleach before I added the embossing powder, sorry lol.
I hope that you will all be inspired to enter the challenge, and don't forget to check out what the other girls have done. Also how about joining the Design Team.
Happy Crafting.
Hugs
Kimx

6 comments:

  1. Kim, this is fabulous! You've inspired me to have another go at a resist technique - my attempts to date haven't been successful! (You know that mess you mentioned? That's me!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an absolutely stunning card, Kim! I love everything about it :-)

    Beth. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Kim!
    Wowsers! this is just stunning! I love the colours, just lovely!
    Hugs M xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kim, haven't stopped by in a while. This is such a stunning card. Love the colour combo. I have some of the Starburst Stains, but haven't got round to using them yet. I have 2-3 weeks off work over the festive season, so I'll have to get playing!
    Hugs, Pauline x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous card - and oooooh what a fabulous stamp set xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing card , lve the gorgeous colous and tevniques used here, beautiful colours and images too !
    Marie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message, it is always greatly appreciated. I will try and get back to you as soon as possible if you have a query
Hugs Kimx